Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street


I saw Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street last night, and I liked it. I'm not crazy about it and I probably won't ever see it again, but it was definitely worth seeing once.

I went into the theaters knowing only that it was a musical (not thrilled about btw), was the most gory movie Johnny Depp has done so far, that Tim Burton was directing it, and that Helena Bonham Carter was in it.

All good reasons to see it, but if you know me, then you probably know I have a bad habit of always pointing out what I don't like in movies. I liked this movie (not a lot, but enough). I thought only 40% of the songs were good. I thought it was too slow. I felt like they tried to create build-up toward the first victim, but it took forever. And, I didn't like the rushing through the alleys CGI scene. It made me dizzy and I never feel that way during a movie.

What was good was the acting. Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, the two guys from Harry Potter (Snape and Wormtail), the two young boys and, of course, Borat were excellent. The visuals were great; the costumes were great. The story was brilliant! Two of the songs have been stuck in my head all day (in a good kind of way). The movie dripped of Tim Burton's style and that's always a good thing.

Overall, I liked the movie enough to recommend others to see it once. It's definitely a musical. Don't let the non-typical-musical cast fool you. It's also very gory, so keep the kids away. They'll look like Moses twenty years from now because they'll all have shaving complexes. Sweeney Todd will sit somewhere near the bottom of Tim Burton's all-time top 5 or 10 movies, but how can you not see a movie about a demonic, murdering, and singing barber played by Johnny Depp? Come on.

No comments: