Monday, April 7, 2008

Run Fatboy Run

I think Simon Pegg is the ultimate photogenic actor.

As an avid fan of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, I was entertained but disappointed by Run Fatboy Run. My complaints go as follows: Where was Simon's sidekick Nick?, What happened to the editing?, simon isn't fat, only the last third of the movie was engaging, and lastly, no one died!

Now before I sound like I hated this movie, let it be known, I liked Run Fatboy Run. But it was my least favorite movies involving Simon Pegg. Pegg's first big film was Shaun of the Dead, and it was amazing. The sub-title of Shaun of the Dead is "a romantic comedy with zombies." Perfect description! This movie makes you laugh, cry and get pretty worriedly scared. It makes you browse through so different emotions. It ranks #20 on my favorite 150 all-time movies, right after Little Miss Sunshine and right before Nightmare Before Christmas
Now Hot Fuzz (#26) was different. Like Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz's editing was superb, but slightly better due to the fact that Hot Fuzz is a wanna-be hardcore action movie. Hot Fuzz is about two cops serving in a little utopia town in the middle of nowhere. One cop is anal and one of the best policeman around, while the other cop is cop because his dad is a cop and he wants to be like the guys in the shoot 'em up action flicks like Bad Boys. The two do not get along, but when things get really messed up in this little town, they have to figure out a way to get things down. When I first saw the trailers for Hot Fuzz, I was sorely disappointed in Simon Pegg's choice of story set. But after seeing Hot Fuzz, I was very impressed.
Now Run Fatboy Run was more drastically different from Simon's other movies then any of his others were from each other. This one is about a guy who left his pregnant wife at the alter and spends the next few years trying to get her back. Things get put into overdrive when she finds Mr. Perfect-Who-Runs-Marathons and things get serious. Simon Pegg who plays Dennis tries to win her back by running a marathon. (And Dennis is ridiculously out-of-shape.)

It's funny, it's endearing and I liked it, but it was nothing like Simon Pegg's other two movies that make me drool when I think about them. I am disappointed but I know Simon Pegg isn't a regular disappointee.

I'm looking forward to his next two roles as Scotty in Star Trek and as Sidney Young in How to Lost Friends and Alienate People; both of which come out this year.

No comments: