Monday, December 6, 2010

Movie Tarts: January 2011

Welcome 2011.  Bring us some good movies, please.  Especially this summer...  Because, frankly, January's lineup is weak sauce.  I can only find three movies I have a remote desire to try out. 

My Most Anticipated Movie this January is: The Way Back - Yeah, I know, Colin Farrell is in this and it's my most anticipated movie??  I couldn't believe it either.  Despite Colin's terribleness, the movie is directed by Peter Weir.  You might know him from directing: Master and Commander, The Truman Show, and Dead Poets Society.  It also stars a young man I think will be a very well known actor one day - Jim Sturgess.  He starred in one of my favorite movies (#23 on my flickchart.com) - Across the Universe.  He might be better known for one of his merely decent roles in the highly publicized "21."  But I think The Way Back will make him a more known star because he deserves it.  I project a B-. (01/21)



My Second Most Anticipated Movie this January is: The Green Hornet - This is a strange movie and I'll tell you why.  First off, it's a super hero movie starring Seth Rogen.  Weird.  Second, Jay Chou (the Chinese guy) has never been in a movie titled with only English words and so it's strange that his first is a high-budget movie starring a big movie star.  Pretty Weird.  And third, this movie is directed by Michel Gondry (who I love, but most people don't).  He is the director of such movies: Be Kind Rewind (2008), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), and The Science of Sleep (2006). (Also he directed an episode of cult-fav TV series Flight of the Conchords).  Ultimately, I think this movie will be okay.  I think enough Seth Rogen will make it funny and enough cool gadgets and cars will make it testerone-y enough.  I'm projecting a C+. (01/14)



The Company Men - New Release Date (01/21)  See my opinion from back when it was supposed to be released...here.

Barney's Version - This stars two phenomenal actors - Paul Giamatti and Dustin Hoffman.  The trailer for this film makes me worry about it's style and direction, but the quality of actors and the amazing story pulls me in.

No comments: