Sunday, September 26, 2010

ReRun: Be Kind Rewind (Where's the comma?)

"I will shoot you! And I know robot karate."
I finally saw Mike Gondry's Be Kind Rewind film last night. I tried to see it at the Sundance Film Festival in January, but it never happened. And then when it came to theaters, it was only showing at one theater about an hour away. But finally, I saw it.

I liked the movie. It was a lot like I imagined it would be like, but I found it hard to watch surprisingly. I'm having a hard time pin-pointing the reason it was difficult to watch. I thought it was aesthetically-pleasing. I liked the dialogue. The writing was wonderful. The acting was superb with Jack Black, Danny Glover and Mos Def. I wasn't a huge fan of the music, or the editing. You know what? That's what turned it off for me. The editing.

Jeff Buchanan was the Director of Editing for Be Kind Rewind. With the except of Dave Chappelle's Block Party movie, Jeff Buchanan has not done anything substantial, unless you want to count his "The Work of Director..." documentaries. I'm not saying just because Jeff Buchanan hasn't done many big hit movies, that.....nevermind. I'm not going to worry about being mean. Jeff Buchanan's editing is hard to watch. It's unfocused and mildly frustrating. I do not like Jeff Buchanan.

The best things about Be Kind Rewind were the acting, the setting style and the whole idea and writing behind it. What a great idea! A magnetized guy erases all the movies in the rental store and him and his friend recreate all the movies in order to keep the rental store afloat. Sweded movies. Ghostbusters. Danny Glover in general. All these elements combined give Be Kind Rewind its own uniqueness.

This movie is worth the price of admission. You won't learn anything, and you won't have a life changing experience by watching it. At the most, you might have a strong desire to make some of your own "sweded" movies and you'll laugh a bunch.

No comments: